As technology advances and business needs evolve, custom software development solutions are becoming increasingly important for staying competitive in the modern marketplace.
Top future custom software development trends to consider
Before we move on to the current custom software development trends, let’s go back to the previous year for a moment. 2022 was a great year for software development. New technologies are on the rise and are ready to be developed further. Low-code & no-code development, blockchain-oriented software and DevSecOps are just a few development trends worth mentioning.
In 2023, we can expect to see some exciting new digital solutions in custom software development. This solution will help businesses improve efficiency and stay ahead of the competition. Therefore, software development companies need to prepare and stay on top of their software “game”.
Thus, at hero/dot, we prepared a list of custom software development trends to consider when considering creating software products.
Latest Software Development Trends in 2023
2023 has just started and is already bringing some new inventions & improvements to the software development world.
To start, what exactly is custom software development? It is the process of creating software applications specifically designed and built to meet the specific needs and requirements of a particular client or end user. Keeping that in mind, let’s see what it has to offer in 2023:
- AI is one of the most notable changes in technology trends. It is viewed as a business growth opportunity for the IT industry and a danger in a post-pandemic world.
- Another significant change in the development process is Infrastructure as Code (IaC). It promotes cost efficiency, as well as scalability of the infrastructure.
- Custom software products will change very positively in the near future – you can be sure of it!
Without further ado, let’s dive deep into the world of the latest technology with this list of custom software development trends:
Trend #1 – AI Development
One of the biggest trends in custom software for 2023 is the rise of AI-driven solutions. AI is quickly becoming a vital tool for businesses, allowing them to automate tasks and make decisions faster than ever.
By using machine learning and neural models, AI brings out the best of human knowledge spread around the web. Custom software development can benefit significantly from its ability to provide valuable components and information.
Some unique solutions on the consumer market now include ChatGPT, Dall-E 2 and Midjourney. When it comes to software development, Amazon AWS AI Services, Google Cloud AI Services and Microsoft Azure AI Services are worth mentioning. They are not only cloud services but are also AI-based – proving the importance of emerging trends in software development.
AI-enabled solutions are already being used in many industries from healthcare to financial services. However, with its ability to create code, content, video, and image, it’s an underestimated tool for the modern world.
As artificial intelligence technology advances, we can expect to see more AI-driven custom solutions that can help businesses save time and money. According to McKinsey, “Generative AI promises to make 2023 one of the most exciting years yet for AI.”
Trend #2 – Cloud-based Solutions & Cloud Computing
Scale up your endeavours with top-notch cloud computing. And all that for a fraction of the price needed for the organisation-based solution.
Another trend in custom software we can expect to see in 2023 is cloud-based solutions. Cloud computing allows businesses to access their applications and data from anywhere in the world. That makes it easier to collaborate and scale operations.
Cloud-based solutions are becoming more popular as they offer greater flexibility, scalability, and cost savings. This can help organizations to rapidly launch new software products, services and bring new features to market faster.
Due to the above reasons, the software market moves some of the most crucial software development to cloud services. Some solutions include Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
Trend #3 – Microservices Architecture
Sometimes smaller pieces put together work faster and more efficiently than a grand machine. This is the case with microservices architecture.
Microservices Architecture is a software design pattern in which a large application is built as a collection of small, independent services that communicate with each other through APIs.
Breaking down monolithic applications into smaller, independently deployable microservices can increase efficiency, scalability, and allow for faster time-to-market deployment. It is also beneficial for custom development.
Some specific microservice architecture benefits include:
- Scalability: Each microservice can be scaled independently, allowing organizations to handle increased loads without having to scale the entire application.
- Resilience: Because microservices are isolated, and each failure affects only a single service, the overall system is more resilient and less likely to fail.
- Faster Deployment: Microservices can be developed, tested, and deployed faster, allowing organizations to bring new features and capabilities to market more quickly.
- Improved Flexibility: Teams can choose different technologies, tools, and programming languages for each microservice, making it easier to adopt new technologies and better fit the requirements of each service.
- Easier Maintenance: With microservices, it’s easier to identify and fix problems because each service has a smaller and more focused codebase.
You can read more on the topic of Microservice architecture style in Azure on the official Microsoft Learn site here.
Trend #4 – Security
Safety is becoming scarce in the modern world – but there is a solution.
Security will remain a top priority for custom software solutions in 2023. As cyber threats become more sophisticated, businesses need to ensure that such software is secure and protected from attacks. In addition, companies will need to invest in secure development practices. They also need to implement robust security measures to protect their data and applications.
Some of the most notable changes include cloud security, DevSecOps, Container and Serverless security, and blockchain security. In addition, a variety of solutions fits custom development needs, as tailored services need different technology for each project.
Software developers will have to consider these security tech trends in their future endeavours to create the best possible code – that is also secure. A rising number of developers take on the Zero Trust Security approach.
What does it mean in practice? Zero Trust Security approach assumes that all network traffic is untrusted and requires authentication and authorization before it is allowed to access resources.
Trend #5 – Low-Code & No-Code Development Platforms
Always wanted to become a coder, but long lines of code seem off-putting? This is a solution for you!
No-code & Low-code development allows businesses to develop custom software applications with less technical expertise, reducing development time and costs.
Creating software using this kind of tools enables, e.g. even more hybrid development between UX/UI, Designer and Software Developer. As a result, the entire team can have a quicker say on the look of the software and improve it as an interdisciplinary community.
The growing demand for application development and digital solutions can challenge small businesses. However, due to its s most likely, this trend will be the most beneficial to them.
Remote work puts pressure on bringing more parts of offered software to cloud infrastructure. Low-code and no-code can help small entrepreneurs with that challenge.
Democratization of the software development process via a more accessible “coding” experience can also lead to speed, efficiency and cost-saving in the development process. In the future, it can lead to the creation of a profession of interdisciplinary IT specialists. That work on smaller projects with basic knowledge of code, UX/UI and business.
Trend #6 – Infrastructure as Code (IaC) Eliminates Management Issues
Sometimes coding can be more than it sounds. First, let’s look into the topic of IaC!
Infrastructure as Code (IaC) is a software engineering practice that treats infrastructure components and their configurations as code. It involves writing scripts and configuration files to automate the provisioning and configuration. And also the management of infrastructure components such as servers, storage, and networking devices.
IaC aims to make infrastructure management more efficient, repeatable, and scalable while enabling version control, testing, and collaboration. Popular tools for implementing IaC include Terraform, CloudFormation, and Ansible.
The benefits of using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) are:
- Automation: IaC automates the provisioning, configuration, and management of infrastructure components, reducing manual errors and the time required to perform these tasks.
- Repeatability: IaC scripts can be reused and executed multiple times, ensuring consistency and reproducibility in infrastructure deployment.
- Version control: IaC code can be managed using version control systems like Git, allowing for collaboration, tracking of changes, and rollback capabilities.
- Scalability: IaC scripts can quickly provision and manage infrastructure components at scale, eliminating manual configuration and reducing the time required to grow infrastructure.
- Increased reliability: IaC enables the testing of infrastructure components and configurations, reducing the risk of failures and improving the overall reliability of infrastructure.
- Improved collaboration: IaC code can be shared, reviewed, and enhanced by multiple team members, enabling more effective collaboration and faster infrastructure delivery.
Overall, IaC helps increase the speed, accuracy, and reliability of infrastructure management while enabling teams to work more effectively and efficiently.
Trend #7 – Progressive Web Applications (PWA) Save Costs
Imagine mobile apps, but there is no need to download them. Welcome to the world of PWA.
Progressive Web Applications (PWA) are web-based applications that provide a native app-like experience in a browser. They combine the best of both web and native apps. Leveraging the reach and accessibility of the web while offering features and functionality typically associated with native apps.
PWAs are designed to work offline, be fast and responsive, and provide a native-app-like experience, with features such as push notifications and home screen icons. They are also progressive, meaning they are designed to work on a wide range of devices and browsers. From low-end phones to high-end tablets and desktops, providing a consistent experience across platforms.
PWAs can be installed directly from a website without requiring users to go through an app store, making it easier for developers to distribute and update their applications. This also means that PWAs are easier and less expensive to develop and maintain than native apps.
Overall, PWAs offer a fast, reliable, and engaging user experience. UX with the reach and accessibility of the web and without the overhead of app stores and native app development.
Progressive Web Applications (PWA) can save costs in several ways:
- Deployment costs: PWAs are delivered through the web and don’t require the overhead of app store approvals, certifications, and hosting costs. They can be deployed and updated instantly without users needing to download and install updates.
- Maintenance costs: PWAs are platform-agnostic and run on various devices and browsers, reducing the costs associated with supporting multiple platforms.
- User acquisition costs: PWAs can be discovered through search engines, social media, and other web-based channels, reducing the need for costly user acquisition campaigns.
- Data costs: PWAs are designed to work offline or with limited network connectivity, reducing user data costs and improving their experience, even in low-bandwidth environments.
In summary, PWAs offer several cost savings compared to traditional native apps while providing a fast, reliable, and engaging user experience.
By adopting these trends, businesses can streamline processes, increase efficiency and remain competitive in an ever-evolving tech landscape.
Advantages of Custom Software Development
How custom software development trends can help businesses improve efficiency and stay ahead of the competition in 2023?
Software development trends offer several advantages for businesses including:
- Increased Efficiency: Custom software can be designed to meet specific business requirements, streamlining processes and increasing overall efficiency.
- Improved Productivity: Custom software can automate repetitive tasks, freeing up employees to focus on more strategic work and increasing productivity.
- Competitive Advantage: By having a unique, customised software solution, businesses can differentiate themselves from competitors and gain a competitive advantage.
- Better Data Management: Custom software can be designed to manage, analyse and report on business data, providing valuable insights and improving decision-making.
- Increased Security: Custom software can be built with specific security requirements in mind, reducing the risk of data breaches and protecting sensitive information.
- Flexibility: Custom software can be easily adapted to changing business needs, providing long-term flexibility and scalability.
- Better User Experience: Custom software can be designed with a specific target audience in mind, providing a better user experience and increasing customer satisfaction.
Overall, custom software development can help businesses achieve their specific goals, increase efficiency and remain competitive in an ever-evolving tech landscape.
The near future will be a defining moment for many businesses. As cloud solutions, web applications and digital products will dominate the IT discourse.
Implementing Technology Trends In 2023 – What’s Next?
Fasten your seatbelts and let’s enjoy the ride to the future. As there is even more to come than one can imagine in 2023.
These are just a few of the top custom software development trends we can expect to see in custom software for 2023. How to prepare for the future in the IT industry? There is no easy way, but these suggestions can help with the process:
Digital transformation and custom software development is becoming a much more important part of business processes. Companies should consider adding cloud technologies, cross-platform solutions and digital solutions to their IT needs on a bucket list. One way to address that is with the right software solutions provided by hero/dot. This way, companies can stay ahead of the competition and ensure maximum efficiency.
Let’s make 2023 yours with these key trends. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s code your vision together!